Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Blog post 3: Surfer & Waves

 Artists Develop Art Making Skills
Did you learn new techniques or processes as part of the work for this project?
I learned how to use chalk pastels within this project. I figured out how to use the chalk to make things blend easier. The shading under the front of the waves also made them look more 3D. 
Did you gain skill with familiar materials?
I didnt really gain any skill this time with familiar materials. In this project I used all new materials except for the little part that I used oil pastels for. So I didnt really gain any skill with familiar materials, more with new ones. 
Artists Solve Problems
How did you respond to challenges that occurred as you worked? 

I ran into problems with making the waves look like actual waves. I had the blending down, but when it came to making the wave look like it was crashing it was the main struggle of the picture. So  I had to take some of the darker chalks & shade in right under the white part of the wave to make it seem more like it was coming off the page. 

Did your work take an unexpected turn due to a mistake or did something happen that was unplanned? 

I didnt really know I was going to use the chalk pastels because we had just learned about them that day. So I figured since theyre good to use when trying to blend colors and drawing waves would mean blending a lot of colors, I decided to use these. So I guess that was something that was unplanned; the waves issue would come in there also

Artists Create Original Art
How did you use your own unique ideas in your work? 

Surfing is something I personally like to do. I know how the waves move and how a surfer would position their body accordingly. So I used my own prior knowledge in order to create this picture. 

Did you use a source for inspiration, then combine it with your own ideas to make it original?

I found this picture on the RipcurlUsa instagram page. It consisted of a huge wave and a surfer bending over inside the wave. I took this idea and changed it around and took it into my own perspective. I didnt want the art to look so realistic. So that and also my prior knowledge went into the originality of the work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment